What is sorn?

SORN Insurance – What Is It and Do You Need It?

SORN insurance, sometimes known as laid up insurance, covers vehicles that are declared with a Statutory Off Road Notification. When you declare a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) for your vehicle, by law, you no longer need to insure it. But just because you don’t need to insure your vehicle, doesn’t mean you don’t need protection for it. That’s where SORN insurance comes in. Below we’ll cover everything you need to know about SORN insurance, including what it is and whether or not you need it.

What is SORN?

Declaring your vehicle SORN lets the DVLA know that you’ve taken it off the road. To do this you need to fill in a SORN declaration form (V890) and send it to the DVLA, either online, by post or over the phone. Once you’ve done this, your vehicle will no longer need to be taxed or insured and you’ll receive a refund for any remaining months of tax your vehicle still has.

It is common to declare your vehicle SORN for a few reasons such as if it is:

  • Unfit to be driven
  • In storage
  • Undergoing repair

Whatever your reason for declaring a SORN, driving a SORN vehicle on the road is illegal unless you’re on your way to a pre-booked MOT appointment and have the required car insurance in place. If you’re caught driving a SORN vehicle, you could face a fine of up to £2,500 and have your vehicle seized.

Just because you don’t need insurance by law when a vehicle is declared SORN and stored, it sits without any protection if something should happen. You might still have regular car insurance on your vehicle, but if not, SORN insurance covers the vehicle for the period in which it is stored. Having SORN insurance helps to provide that peace of mind that your usual car insurance does, but often at a cheaper premium.

Do You Need to declare SORN?

SORN Declaration Process

The Types of SORN Insurance

Do You Need SORN Insurance?

Scroll to Top